Mainly in environments where other types of networks are not viable due to technical limitations, LoRa gateways are used to set up a network implementation of applicable electrical appliances under LoRaWan.
Lora technology is only utilized for interaction between the reputable end nodes and the gateways linked to them under the LoRa gateway. Lora benefits from the wireless range for data transmission being exceptionally high, and the energy consumption is deficient, thus allowing for an extremely long battery life under LoRaWan.
While discussing IoT solutions, akenza.io is the self-service IoT platform providing you to create great IoT products and services with value. It links, handles, and manages IoT devices in one place.
Akenza.io gives a cloud-based system that connects everyThing to the Cloud.
Swisscom LoRaWan provides a Swiss-wide Low Power Network (LPN) over LoRaWan. It already covers 97% of the Swiss population, making it one of Switzerland’s most extensive public available LoRa networks.
The seamless integration from the LoRa network into akenza.io makes managing already connected IoT devices and new projects effortless.
The integration does not require an account with the network provider, as akenza.io provides this under the LoRa gateway. It is noted that a monthly connection fee for each registered device applies when using said integration under LoRaWan.
- Swisscom provides residential customers with an extensive range of digital TV, mobile telecommunication, and other services in Switzerland. In the B2B section, its portfolio includes network, CloudCloud, and ICT services. Regarding LoRaWan, Swisscom is the only provider covering the whole of Switzerland. Swisscom is the top-rated partner for LoRaWan Switzerland.
Advantages of Swisscom LoRaWan:
Swisscom is the only supplier capturing the whole of Switzerland. Participation with the SBB, Swiss Post, and NeoVac means the network is quickly enhanced under the LoRa gateway.
Robust network analysis reaches 97.2% of the population indoors and outdoors. The 24 largest SBB railway stations are also covered internally under the LoRa gateway.
Highest network accessibility throughout Switzerland with the continuous network. Monitoring and professionally managed field services that solve network coverage problems within 24 hours under the LoRa gateway.
LoRa gateways are the bridge between End Nodes and the Network. For acquiring information from the End Nodes, gateways are equipped with a LoRa concentrator and can, in essence, be considered a router of sorts under LoRaWan. There are two primary types of LoRa gateways that are separated by their kind of software:
- Minimal firmware only moves the packet forwarding software to the network server under LoRaWan.
- An operating system is where the packet forwarding software runs in the background. While this consumes more power, gateway administrators can utilize the gateway device for other purposes under LoRaWan.
Lora gateways are radio modules that work as communication devices within a LoRa network between end devices and a LoRaWan server. A LoRa gateway is mainly used to transmit sensor data from an electrical device to the Cloud under LoRaWan.
Characteristics of LoRa gateway:
The most basic function of LoRa Gateways is to demodulate LoRa packets from end nodes and transfer them to the server under LoRaWan. However, there are still several key elements you have to be aware of when working with LoRa gateways or LoRa networks in common.
Gateway forwarding protocols
The Packet Forwarder is the software that offers the core functionality of a LoRa gateway and defines the method used to receive LoRa packets and transmit them to the network server under LoRaWan.
Lora operates in the unlicensed radio Spectrum internet plans which means it is free to use without obtaining transmission rights under the LoRa gateway. It also means anyone can buy equipment and set up their LoRa network without a license or permit.
However, LoRa is not without its limitations – it is, in fact, quite the opposite under the LoRa gateway. Because LoRa operates with lower radio frequencies to achieve a more extended range, country-specific restrictions are often under LoRaWan.
How do Lora gateways work?
Lora gateways are radio modules whose appliances are fitted with a LoRa concentrator that permits LoRa packets to be collected. LoRa gateways comprise an operating system where the packet forwarding software works in the background under LoRaWan. In this manner, the network provider has more freedom in managing his gateway
- The data between the end nodes and the LoRa gateway is comparably low, but this is a compulsory sacrifice to enable long-lasting battery life and a high radio range under LoRaWan.
- The gateway is linked to a LoRaWan network server through high-bandwidth networks like WiFi, Ethernet, or cellular to offer end-to-end connectivity between LoRa end devices and the application server under the LoRa gateway.
- In short, all LoRa gateways within range of an end device receive data from the appliance under LoRaWan. Then, the gateways forward this information to the LoRaWan network server. The network server is in charge of separating duplicate data packets, identifying data integrity, and doing security checks before sending the data to the application server under the LoRa gateway.